Friday, August 22, 2008

Wellness #41 - Going Green - Part 2

I went to the Direct Marketing Association web site and signed up for the mail preferences to cut down on the amount of junk mail that comes to my home (not sure that my husband will be thrilled). I also filled out a form to cut down on the amount of spam that comes to our email addresses (although my husband loves to read the letters from people telling him he's won 10 million dollars). We've already gotten on the do not call list. We'll see what happens. This was easy.

Consumer Reports mileage tips and the car and gasoline issue is tough. Our vehicles are paid off and we are not looking to trade in yet. My husband is a big advocate of larger vehicles because they are safer (so he says). We are trying to reduce how much we drive and we try not to make unnecessary trips. He has been more successful at this than I because he does not drive as far as I do to go to work.

We are trying to make our house greener. We are using the florescent light bulbs that are recommended. We had work done on our house and had the doors and windows resealed so that less hot air comes in and less cold air comes out, along with turing up the thermostat. We are discussing new insullation options. I don't know about the green cleaners. I am not ready to make my own either.

Actual recycling is hard for me. I have been recycling paper. We have recycled print cartridges. We also recycled cell telephones. I just had to have the battery replaced in my car and it was a trade in at Auto Zone. We go to a mechanic for oil changes and they recycle the oil. Glass and plastic will be more of an effort because I have to find a place to take it to. I recycle clothes by putting them in donation boxes around La Porte. This is the hardest for me.

2 comments:

Fourdogmom said...

Wow! Great job. I'm planning to stop all the junk mail too and the credit card offers.

whitelabradors said...

Thank you.