Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wellness #41: Going Green - Part 1

1. I went to Yahoo! Green and calculated my carbon footprint. Much to my dismay, I am above average. The average American emits 9.44 tons of CO two a year. I emit 13.2 tons of CO two a year: 3.8 at home, 8.8 on the road, 0.6 in the air. I know I do not recycle like I use to mainly because La Porte does not have door pick up of recycling. I have to take it to the recycling center. I try to recycle paper since those bins are at school campuses. I also try to recycle clothes, shoes, ink cartridges etc. I am trying to cut down on my driving because I do drive alot. I take one flight a year to see my family in NJ. No way can I cut down on that!

2. I have been to a farmers market. There was one in La Porte for a while and then it went out of business because it was too expensive. I enjoyed it. The owners were nice and would give you a tour of the market. I was able to sample before I bought. One thing I found interesting was that they had local honey: someone in the neighborhood raised bees and he bottled the honey. They had locally produced syrups. The fruits and vegetables were delicious.

The farmers markets listed in the exercise look fun but would require an extra 50 mile round trip. Unfortunately I am going to have to postpone this trip until gas prices go down.

No comments: