Friday, April 18, 2008

Maps #33: Relocating with Online Maps

1. First I tried looking at houses. I found Google impossible to use. I could not get to the real estate search. I tried Har and found that confusing. Urban Living was the best for this. I tried the area where I live: La Porte. There were no forclosures available when I tried to limit by foreclosure. I did find almost 200 homes for sale by just searching for single family homes. I then went to find an apartment. I went to Apartments.com. I typed in a zip code where I use to live in Houston--77072. I found Bayou on the bend Apartments at 5201 Memorial. They have wheelchair access and allow pets but a pet interview is required and the pets cannot be aggressive. I liked the map that looked like it was from the Key Map. I did not like satellite or hybrid -- this did not give you the feel of where the complex is. I also went to Left Bank River Oaks at 5353 Memorial. They have wheelchair access and accept small pets -- cats and dogs no larger than 20 pounds and only one pet.

2. At Bayou on the Bend Apartments I would not be far from River Oaks (whoo hoo). Restaurants nearby include Marks Restaurant, Gravitata, Backstreet Cafe. Schools include St. Johns School and St. Thomas High School. Groceries and retail include Lankford Grocery, Randalls, Whole Foods, Kroger, Barnes and Noble. Worship centers are lacking but there is Neosoft and Worship Center neither of which I have heard of. Banks include Bank of America, Chase Manhattan, Compass Bank.

I liked Apartments.com and would recommend this site. It is easy to use. The sites recommended for houses need work. They were cumbersome and confusing.

No comments: