Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sound: #25: Am I a music pirate? It's hard to know...

1. I burned a copy of a Beethoven sonata onto a CD. I used Rogio home creator which is on my work CD. It took me a little bit of time to figure it out. Once I was able to get to the music to copy it was easy.

2. I still use CDs. Using Rogio home creator was easier and more clear cut than the instructions on Harriet. I found those confusing.

3. Sharing music on line is an easy way to expose more people to different styles of music. Instead of listening to entire albums it is now possible to copy favorite songs and set up your own compilation. This really benefits users. I am not sure this will benefit musicians/creators. Their intellectual property is not protected. Any one can take credit for another's work. Part of a musicians income comes from royalties they earn when their music is played or purchased. Is it fair to deprive them of this income or the intellectual recognition received when creating a musical piece? This is also a puzzle for authors. Any one have opinions to share?

No comments: