Thursday, March 5, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: #54 Social Networking Through Books

1. I was a member of a book club. I did not like it because I felt pressured to read the book even though I did not like it. I felt like I was back in school. Some of the books were Oprah books and I hated them. I decided there was something wrong with me because I did not like Oprah selections. If I did not read the book I did not participate. Consequently, I did not try an online book club.

2. I viewed some of the sites. I think it would be fun to have a club that reads a book and then watches the film adaptation. A discussion about the pros and cons and likes and dislikes could arise. Some people could just read the book and others could just watch the film. A discussion of how close the adaptation came to the original would be fun. Also watching a film and then reading the book that derived from the film would be fun. I think the Da Vinci Code would be a fun one to try with this.

3. I checked on Good Reads and Shelfari! for my book of choice: One for the money by Janet Evanovich. The ratings were similar on both sites. Good Reads gave One for the moeny a 4.10 avg. rating out of 5. Shelfari! gave it 4 stars out of 5. I wasn't surprised. I read One for the money and I was hooked--I became a Stephanie Plum fan for life.

No comments: