Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Games and Gaming #37: Get Your Game On @ The Library

I read the article from the New York Times on gaming in the library. I found it interesting. Libraries need to keep up with the times. Teens are future library funders. They need to see that libraries are relevant to their world. If gaming in the library brings them in then that is terrific.
I went to the Carnegie Mellon Libraries site. I enjoyed the Within Range game -- correctly shelving books. It took me a few times to figure it out. The other game (I'll get it) was frustrating. I could not figure out how to get the questions to appear and not make the users get up and leave. The hints were no help. That was frustrating. The Within Range game was not frustrating at all.
I am not one hundred percent sure I feel gaming belongs in the library. However, if gaming brings customers into the library and these customers become library users then it is a good thing and belongs in the library.

No comments: